If you are interested in volunteering please feel free to stop by the station on Wednesday nights from 6:30PM to 9:30PM, or call and leave us a message at 401-647-3505. Feel free to download our membership interest form here online and fill it out. Additionally you can email us at membership@pottervillefd.org

About Potterville Fire Department

About Potterville Fire Department

Potterville Volunteer Fire Department provides fire and rescue services for the people of the town of Scituate along with three sister departments within the town. Potterville is a village located within the town of Scituate, Rhode Island.

Incorporated in 1948 the department has grown from a two door wooden barn with used and donated equipment to a 4 bay masonry building. The majority of our equipment was purchased either in whole or in part with funds from grants, as well as fund raising, donations, and tax dollars.


About Potterville Fire Department

In April of 1948, a group of men met at the Potterville Community House to form a fire department.  At the time, the only departments in town were North Scituate and Hope.  With the town being separated by much of the reservoir, these men felt a need for a fire department in this area of the town.  On that night, the department then known as the Potterville Fire Company was formed.

At the second meeting on May 24, 1948, officers were elected and committees were formed. Discussion about where to house the newly acquired Reo truck, and plans to acquire land for a new station began.  Since a place to house the truck was needed immediately, Phil Colucci offered his barn on Turk Hill, across from where the present station stands today.

On June 14, 1948, the members incorporated the department and changed the name to the Potterville Fire Department.   It was then voted that they would meet on the third Wednesday of every month.  Since money was needed for the repair of the truck and to buy equipment, a Ways & Means committee was formed.  It was voted upon that the members would pay $2 per year for dues, and John Tirrell was elected as the financial secretary to take care of the $26 collected from the thirteen members.  The rest of the year was spent obtaining equipment and repairs for the truck.  Hope Jackson gave us hose and nozzles.  Other equipment was obtained from State Forestry Department and from money made on whist parties and bingos.

In September 1948, it was voted upon to hold the meeting twice a month so that the men would not lose interest in the department.  They were also drilled every Sunday morning from nine to noon.  At this time the truck was moved to Leon Hick’s barn on Old Plainfield Pike.  By December, the truck was in good working order.

In May 1949, land had been leased from Earl Colvin on Old Plainfield Pike, and work began on a new fire station.  Much time and effort was put into building the station.